Windham Southeast School District
Finance Committee Meeting – Tuesday 9/13/2022
5:00pm @ BUHS Multi-Purpose Room
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 880 1665 0585
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,88016650585#,,,,*018560# US (Washington DC)
Members: Shaun Murphy – Chairperson, Michelle Luetjen Green, Anne
Beekman, David Schoales
Board Recorder: Wendy Levy
1. Approval of Minutes
2. Update on Capital Improvement Projects including:
• Academy School addition/renovation, BUHS HVAC, Dummerston HVAC, Guilford HVAC, Oak Grove Windows,
3. Recommendation to Board to Approve Warrants and Payrolls
Meeting is scheduled to adjourn at 5:50pm
Note: These proposed minutes should be considered preliminary until they are approved by the
board at a future meeting.
WINDHAM SOUTHEAST SCHOOL DISTRICT (WSESD) FINANCE COMMITTEE
TUESDAY, AUGUST 9, 2022
REGULAR MEETING – 5:00PM
HYBRID MEETING: BUHS MULTI-PURPOSE ROOM & ZOOM
WSESD Finance Committee Members Present: Chairperson Shaun Murphy (SM), Anne Beekman
(AB), Michelle Luetjen Green (MG)
WSESD Finance Committee Members Absent: David Schoales
WSESU/SD Administrators Present: WSESU Business Administrator Frank Rucker, Superintendent
Others Present: Wendy M. Levy (Board Recorder)
Please note: Because of Zoom’s attendance format, this attendance record may be incomplete.
CALL TO ORDER:
Chair SM called the meeting to order at 5:04pm.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
AB noted the committee did not have quorum, as MG had not yet arrived. SM tabled this item until MG arrived.
II. FY22 FISCAL YEAR END PRELIMINARY FINANCIAL STATEMENT
Summary.” Highlights included:
• This is a preliminary report, but Frank said it’s approximately 98% finished.
• The Central Office staff is dealing with reporting deadlines, which means they are working on a lot of statistics and data.
• An explanation of revenues and their sources.
• An explanation of how to read this report.
• The District received quite a bit of grant funding this year.
• The numbers are very close to the budgeted amount.
• There is just over $717,000 left over in expenditures that has not been spent.
• There is a deficit of just over $154,000, but staff planned for a deficit of $950,000, so there is a variance of just over $995,000.
• The second page of this report is the same budget, but arranged by school.
• We are within 1.28% of the budget. This is considered to be good planning, and a good ability to execute this plan.
MG arrived to the meeting.
The discussion continued:
• A review of some of the schools’ variances and the reasons for them.
• Pages 3 & 4 of the report show the same expenditure data arranged by functions and objects.
• An explanation of some of the items on page 3, their variances, and the reasons for them.
• An explanation of why Frank transfers some funding to the Capital Fund: to alleviate future tax appropriations for capital projects.
• A discussion on how ESSER helped to achieve favorable fiscal health.
• An explanation of some of the line items on page 4 and the reasons for their variances.
• A discussion on the FY23 budget for Support Services: School Board. Frank noted there’s a detailed report of this on the website.
Frank shared and reviewed a document, “General Ledger – FY22 YTD Expense Summary.” This is a more detailed report, arranged by expenses, of what is shared on page 2 of the previous document.
Frank noted they will begin looking at the Fund Balance soon because budget season is coming up.
III. WRCC WHETSTONE VILLAGE PROPERTY TRANSFER UPDATE
SM reported he has been doing research of this item. The three properties are listed with real estate agents, but nobody has bought them. SM contacted the Windham-Windsor Housing Trust to see if they are interested.
SM said the District recently paid homeowner association dues on these properties.
MG asked about donating the properties. SM said it’s too early for that option.
IV. RECOMMENDATION TO BOARD TO APPROVE WARRANTS AND PAYROLLS
The Natowich Field maintenance work.
The Whetstone Village homeowners association dues.
The sexual abuse investigation legal fees.
The approval process for regular and unusual expenses, specifically regarding the sexual abuse investigation and the CFO’s part in reviewing the invoices.
I. APPROVAL OF MINUTES (continued)
The meeting was adjourned at 5:55pm.
• “General Ledger – WSESD General Fund Revenue Summary.”
• “General Ledger – FY22 YTD Expense Summary.”
This represents my understanding of the above dated meeting. If you have any changes, please submit them at the next Finance Committee meeting.