The Windham Southeast School District Independent Budget Review Committee Meeting will take place Tuesday, December 5, 2023 at 5:00pm in the Cusick Conference Room at BUHS
WSESD Policy and Amendment Committee will meet Tuesday, December 5, 2023 at 2:30pm
in the WSESU Central Office, 53 Green Street, Brattleboro and remotely via Zoom
I. Approval of Minutes and confirmation of next meeting date
The minutes of 11/7/23 meeting approved by assent.
Agenda was amended to correct the date of next scheduled meeting.
The next Policy and Amendment Committee meetings are scheduled for:
● Student representatives spoke about bullying and inappropriate behavior that is going unaddressed in classes at BUHS, and the need to cultivate a positive and loving culture in the community.
● Superintendent Speno introduced a book, “Introduction to the Governance Code,” that Board members and administrators will read and discuss at next June’s retreat.
● Putney Central School Principal Jon Sessions and Guilford Central School Principal John Gagnon gave presentations about family and community engagement via the leadership council and parent-teacher organization.
● WSESU Business Administrator Frank Rucker gave an outline of the timeline for the budget development process over the next few months.
● The Board voted to approve pre-qualification for four firms to bid on the Oak Grove School HVAC project.
● The Board approved payrolls and warrants that included the final payment on the 22-year bond for renovations to BUHS.
The Windham Southeast School District Finance Committee will meet Tuesday, November 28, 2023 at 5:00pm at Guilford Central School, 374 Schoolhouse Road, Guilford.
The meeting was called to order at 5pm by Jaci.
On a motion made by Jaci and seconded by Maggie the agenda was amended to table all other agenda items until after the finance committee meeting.
All members were contacted multiple times announcing the meeting time, place and agenda. No members were able to attend.
D1 Personnel Recruitment, Selection, Appointment, and Background Checks
• Reviewed edits from prior meeting.
• D1 will go for a first reading at the 11/14 Board meeting.
I. Call To Order, Kelly Young, Board Chair [6:00 – 6:05]
II. Student Matters [6:05 – 6:15]
III. Administrative Report [6:15 – 6:35]
– Introduction of The Governance Core [5 Minutes]
1. Discussion of governance/responsibilities
2. Election of chair and clerk if desired by IRBC members
3. Discussion of goals, timeline, responsibilities
4. Attend FC meeting
1. Approval of Minutes
2. FY25 Preliminary Budget Development Planning Discussion
3. Capital Project Implementation updates, discussion to include; Recommendation on selection of prequalified Contractors eligible to bid on the Oak Grove Heat pump & HVAC controls project
4. Recommendation to Board to Approve Warrants and Payrolls
Mike Kelliher gave an update on efforts to recruit a more diverse staff. The district has just launched an employee referral program. For certain positions, if an employee refers a candidate who doesn’t already work for the organization, and they end up being hired, the referring employee will receive a bonus: $250 at time of hiring and $250 after six months of employment. There have already been a couple of inquiries. As of today there are 38 open positions but not all are part of this referral program – it is reserved for positions which the leadership team has identified as difficult to fill.
The WSESD Windham Regional Career Center’s ADVANCED MANUFACTURING ADVISORY BOARD MEETING will be held on Thursday, November 9th at 2:30 p.m. at the WRCC TIC building.
● A student representative on the board shared about an unmet need for students to make social connections during class.
● The administration presented about the budgeting process and timeline, including the need to make adjustments now that ESSER funding has been discontinued.
● There was a discussion about whether the district should continue administering student climate surveys twice a year in order to improve school climate. Ultimately the board voted to follow the administration’s recommendation to conduct the survey only once a year.
● The board voted to re-adopt three updated policies: E10 – School Crisis Prevention & Response, E15 – Security Cameras and F9 – Student Substance Abuse Prevention. The board presented three more updated policies for a first reading: C9 – Notice of Non-Discrimination, D11 – Public Complaints about Personnel, and F2 – Bus Discipline.
● The board approved $458,735.95 of carry over funds for EES from last year’s budget. These funds were unused due to not being able to find a contractor for planned kitchen renovations at the Birge Street facility and having to close some classrooms due to lack of staff. The funds will be used to complete the renovations under a scaled down plan using internal staff and for retention and wellness bonuses for employees.
● The board discussed adding the SEPAC to meetings they promote on the WSESD facebook page. They will seek input from the Special Education administrator and consider further at a future meeting.
Mission: Foster learning environments in which all members of the school community are safe, feel valued, and are appreciated, as well as promote policies and procedures that value equity and diversity in our schools.
I. Call to Order / Introductions / Recognition of Visitors
● Students expressed the need to increase attendance at Working Toward Justice Day.
● A new representative from Brattleboro, Matt Schibley, was appointed to the board by unanimous vote.
● The Superintendent gave a summary of the day’s professional development activities, which focused on executive function and student engagement.
● District Literacy Coaches gave a presentation on the science of reading and how that informs district practices.
● The Board adopted an updated policy on Personnel Recruitment, Selection, Appointment and Background Checks.
● The board heard updates from the Academy School and BAMS Leadership Councils.
I. Call to Order [6:00 to 6:05]
II. Student Matters [6:05 to 6:15]
III. Administrative Report [6:15 to 6:45]
– The budgetary process, how the Budget is built to meet the goals and established timeframes leading up to 03/2024. [25 Minutes]
1. Approval of Minutes
2. FY24 Fiscal Year 1st quarter Financial Statement review
3. FY25 Preliminary Budget Development Planning Discussion
4. Capital Project Implementation updates
NOTICE OF BOARD MEETING
The Windham Southeast School District Board will meet at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, October 10,
2023 in the WRCC Cusick Conference Room and remotely via Zoom
● Curriculum Review
● Tour of Facilities
● Equipment Inventory (BUS/Transportation)
● IRC’s and Duel Enrollment opportunities
● Future of Pleasant Valley Watershed as a Forestry outdoor learning lab