Brattleboro Area Hospice will be offering a new program that will help to support people with a recently diagnosed, serious but treatable illness.
This is a wonderful opportunity to work with clients who are learning to live and thrive while they adjust to the changes that a serious illness brings.
We need volunteers in place before we can launch!
The Serious Illness Program (SIP) will offer volunteer services to members of our community who have been referred to us via their treatment provider. The expectation is that volunteers will be assigned for short (3 to 6 months) periods of time.
Here are a few examples of ways volunteers will help:
- Being a warm companion and listening ear
- Helping to set up online supports or other computer assistance
- Offering respite to care providers
- Helping out with meals and chores around the house
- Transporting folks (while being a supportive presence) to their appointments and treatments
- Helping with other challenges and needs that may arise
Our first volunteer training will begin in March so that we can begin to accept clients in the Spring.