Selectboard Meeting Notes – AP Triton, Charter Commission, and Bikes

selectboard october 18, 2022

The new bike ordinance was almost adopted by the Brattleboro Selectboard, but it looked strange upon a second review, and was delayed until the next meeting.

Reps from AP Triton said they, too, would not be giving much weight to community input gather by their own community survey on EMS feasibility. They will present four options, but not a preferred choice, and will leave it to the board to come to their own conclusions. They are also 75% done with their work, but would love to hear from the public at their Wednesday night meeting.

The board bought their simulation machine, and started a Charter Review Commission at the last moment possible, despite earlier requests to get the process going multiple times in the past few years.

Comments | 8

  • Preliminaries

    (Tech discussion about cameras and muting…(they are not). Hopefully the issues of last week have been resolved.)

    Liz McLoughlin asks for her full name on Zoom display.

    Chair Ian Goodnow – Two things. First is bookkeeping… we didn’t have an EMS discussion tonight, and wanted a time-sensitive agenda tonight with AP Triton and the Charter Review discussion, and since those will be long discussions, we’ll have the EMS discussion in November and it will be on the monthly agenda when possible. Transparency is important with this transition. Second, town clerk says election day is Tuesday Nov 8 at American Legion. Everyone was mailed a ballot. If you didn’t get one contact the Town Clerk. Mail it back or drop it off. You can vote in person, but bring the mailed ballot uncompleted. It’s ok to forget it, but it will take longer to vote.

    Interim Town Manager Patrick Moreland – no comments.

    Daniel Quipp – a question – if someone fills out a ballot at home… you can’t mess it up. You either mail it or bring it to the polls or drop it at the Municipal Center.

    Ian – yes. We have drop boxes at the polls. You could even have a filled out ballot and not use it and not vote in person.

    Tim Wessel – I made a request for an ARPA discussion and I thought it fair to move it to November. I get a report on how many have turned in ballots and it is already 1500.

    Public participation

    Renee Woliver – sad to be here again. I was talking about un=safe conditions on Flat Street and Elm Street tag sale. The lot feels safer now, but unfortunately, the Boys and Girls Club van, the cat. converter was stolen, rendering it undriveable. $2400 repairs, and we have to keep parking it there. That money should be used for youth programs and a safe and welcoming place… we have to use if for vandalism at a Town owned facility. The inaction of this town to deal with the problems at the Transportation center has a ripple effect. It impacts schools, families who need a safe place, our kids, the Club. Thanks to Youth Services for use of a vehicle. Everyone is frustrated, demoralized and angry. Not shocked or surprised. Downtown is a mess. It is within 500 feet of the club. It is a municipal building. Active drug use and criminal activity there. The board was looking into cameras in may, and still no action has been taken. We have questions – what is happening with improved cameras and lighting? Any movement to have police substation there? Any outreach to Groundworks or other social service organizations to be in that building on site – can it be activated with agencies?

    Ian – thanks for the comments. I’ll direct one and two to Patrick. We want and item about cameras and a proposal for more cameras, and additional things?

    Patrick – the cameras – it is a really good point. Just talking about that two weeks ago. We were to put it on the agenda, but we forgot. I can have it one the next agenda. I have a reasonable sense of a camera system and it will be for the board to decide. Pretty simple. I could say it now or put it in a memo. $70k. A whole new system to replace the one in the building installed in 2004. The old ones are frail and cheap. A new system will be more bulletproof but it will cost more. We can put it out to bid when you are ready. The substation – it is a bit more behind. Some work needs to be done in the space. Every time I peel back a layer I find new challenges. The stairwells were given interior quality materials that we had to replace. In between tenants… the Experienced Goods place is empty, but water leaks. Not so much water leaking, but condensation happening. The building is concrete segments that aren’t insulated. The heated space, the concrete ceiling, it condenses and rains on the false ceiling and it is suing out the lighting. To reoccupy, we need to do work. Don’t know the cost. The project manager for the police station and I met to talk about it… hope many legitimate municipal offices could we situate down there. WE should do a sketch. It will be costly. Construction costs are up and up and up. $3,000 sq ft x $150 per square foot… significant expense. Would that change conditions on Flat Street? I don’t know. Moving less quickly than I’d like.

    Ian – on the third one – the town has a meeting with Groundworks later in the month nd we can add that question about being more engaged oil that area. It’s a good idea. Nov 1 for cameras and maybe we figure out the Impact to the parking fund…

    Patrick – if we built a facility there, should the parking fund pay or the general fund? It is up to the board. Should the general fund pay rent to the parking fund? They need to be considered. We run a water and sewer utility, but others pay bills.

    Ian – maybe they’d be a tenant as a substation.

    Daniel – trying to ask this artfully. Have you spoken with the agencies? How did that go?

    Renee – – not me personally, we have talked with Josh and one suggestion was to talk to the people down there, and that’s out of our level of expertise. We work with kids, and not with the homeless or addicted populations. WE sometimes feel alone. They are the experts. We ask for them to come in and keep the time safe.

    Daniel – I work in similar work, and I worked for the club. I drove that van. I understand how important it is. My experience with human services work, everyone is working real hard doing the best they can, so I’d be happy to be in a conversation so long as it isn’t about pointing fingers. The problems we face are really challenging and this board is doing the best they can. I’m sorry about the theft, and can think of others … it hurst when these things happen and I hope we can work together toward finding solutions. I’d be happy to sit in a meeting, but know they are tapped out with their basic commitments.

    Renee – we’re tapped out as well and this makes our work more difficult. We want to work with anyone to make it improve. I can talk there but I’m not an expert. We reply on other agencies to hold their leg of the stool. We need to work toward common goals. If someone said kids weren’t getting enough to eat, we’d step up to make it happen.

    Tim – when we talk about these, it is largely staffing. If we get cameras, they need to be watched. It has to move forward with these ideas. No one idea will work, and we have to think of staffing.

    Liz – it was my understanding the Snow Block has some community space for non-profits to have resources there. They do at other facilities.

  • Consent Agenda

    A. FY24 Budget Schedule – revised

    B. Justice Assistance Grant (JAG), Brattleboro Police – Accept and Appropriate $15,500

    Ian – last week an item was pulled, any this week?

    so consented!

  • Liquor Commissioners

    Changezi Food Mart Second Class Liquor License and Tobacco License – Approve Applications

    Patrick – they are at 228 Canal Street, and application has passed review.

    Ali – I’m from Bennington and Afghanistan, and heard many Afghanis are here and I’ll try to help those people build up their small businesses. We’ll have a small kitchen and try to work with the people of town, with cheap beer and gas.

    Liz – will he employ some of the refugees? I wish him the best.

    Ali – yes, I already have and am starting training.

    Tim – Welcome.

    Ian – will there be prepared food? Afghani food?

    Ali – yes we have a full kitchen.

    Ian – will the refugees – have you had trouble contacting people?

    Ali – no.


    2022 Seasonal Third Class Liquor License Renewals – Approve Applications

    Patrick – The three businesses are Echo Restaurant and Lounge at 69- 73 Main Street, Flamingo Diner at 209 Canal Street, and New England House at 254 Marlboro Road. Staff recommends approval, and don’t owe the town in any capacity.


  • Monthly Financial Report - October 2022

    (Liz’s volume is way up so she sound VERY LOUD compared to everyone else….)

    Kimberly Frost – you have the finance report through Sept 30, 3 months into the year. 25%. The General fund is at 23% , Utilities at 22% and Parking is at 20%. We have 3.8 million in outstanding lans. Just over $200k available for grants and loans. 22 active grants and ten in the application process.

    Jessica Gelter – page 3, the recent funds… we budgeted $300k – …

    Frost – $300k set aside for … at RTM. For sidewalks and…

    Patrick – I don’t recall. It was capital improvements. I’d point out that while we budget for that use of fund balance, it will stay zero throughout the year. It’s not revenue. Budgets and accounting are different. The peace maintained has been – show a plan that shows a balanced budget, but in an accounting sense, we’ll have a $300k defect as out planned landing space. It will lower the unassigned general fund balance throughout the year.

    Daniel – page 8 and 9. I’m guessing this will get touched on. The Fire line – staff salaries at okay, and overtime is a bit over. I’ve been watching this as have others, and recall mentioning it last time. Is the rate of increase slowed?

    Frost – we dealt with lots of action and short staff times and COVID – it is back, fast and furious and we still need coverage. We’re still dealing with that. We hope it slows down.

    Daniel – I’m not mad, but curious what we will predict. It will be different from budget, and that’s why you have Fund Balance. It’s been brought up and we’ll talk more later.

    Liz – as we al know, there is a shortage of police officers…

    Daniel – I’m talking about police.

    Liz – COVID is related everywhere and there is overtime everywhere in municipal services.

    Jess – Utilities –

    Frost – we didn’t bill for the first quarter yet, so negative numbers are some credits give to last quarter for overbilling. The credit comes here.

    Kate O’Connor – the $300k fund balance. Where in the budget is the funds for alternative policing and community safety.

    Ian – we kept it int he Police section..

    Patrick – largely true. It is budgeted in police, but it will show as a transfer out as an expenditure on page 15.

    accepted and approved!

  • Brattleboro Code of Ordinances Chapter 4, Proposed Changes – Second Reading and Possible Adoption

    Sue Fillion – This is a second reading and I hope you adopt changes to the bike ordinance for the Town of Brattleboro. Alice Charkes helped identify out of date rules and brought it up to date with state statute. No bike registering requirement anymore. Rules against riding without both hands, or on handlebars, or riding tandem… removed.

    Jess – in the backup materials it has the entire article struck out. The amendments are listed at the top but we aren’t striking the entire content.

    Sue – that is correct.

    Daniel – snuck by us.

    Patrick – this doesn’t look right.

    Sue – it doesn’t look right. It is formatted in a different way. This was worked on by other staff. Doesn’t look right to me.

    Attny Fisher – do you have a copy of the correct version, if not postpone this to the next meeting, but if you have a copy I can get it.

    Tim – if no changes we can rely on the last one?

    Liz – I think we should wait.

    Sue – no issues to wait.

    Ian – if the town had enforced an ordinance no longer in lane with state statute…

    Attny – an appeal would amen it unenforceable. Difficult to enforce.

    Ian – we have a lot of ordinances out of compliance.

    Attny – makes sense to clean them up.

    Ian – a lot has made it to the next meeting from this meeting….

  • EMS Feasibility Study Preliminary Findings Presentation – A.P. Triton

    Ian – AP Triton and BFD reps will join us… so, um…a bit of context. The town had one EMS provider until June 2022, then shifted to another, and also changed the structure of how services are provided in town, known as the hybrid model of BFD providing services doing more. In the summer the board signed a contract with AP Triton to do a feasibility study to look at the three options and this is preliminary findings. Final report in Nov. Presenting tomorrow at Central Fire at 6pm.

    Rich Buchanan and Tom Schneider

    Rich – we work for AP triton providing guidance. We do this a lot. We’ll tell you who we are and the process we’ll use. Then answer questions. The project relates to the letter saying June 1 that Rescue would no longer provide services, and you’ve selected an alternative. We have four models – reinstate agreement with Rescue Inc., contract with a private ambulance company, create BFD based system, and the 4th is the hybrid system you have now. Each one of these four will be measured with four criteria: Financials and data, rated by the quality of service to the community, performance (time), fiscal responsibility (valuation and cost recovery), and sustainability. We’ll do that over the next few days here, speaking with Rescue Inc and Golden Cross, and in 30 days we should have a technical draft – handed over for clarification of facts. WE don’t want to recommend based on false info, so you will review data, and we’ll do final recommendations. Started on June 17th and will be done in about 30 days from now. The project team (7 people from across the country) have special skills – I started out with 17 years on EMS non-fire. Then worked for urban fire department. Each has skills specific to Brattleboro. You’ll get the perspective of people across the country. We want to evaluate service demand – the types of calls. The majority are for EMS. It is a significant portion of the community services required. Types of calls based on days – this shows the revenue that should be generated from the system. Maps show us how the system is used. Do you have the infrastructure? We know the types of calls – 10% have respiratory problems, cardia events… there is a need for high quality EMS. So accurate decisions are needed. What will it take to deliver those services. We measure response time, staffing, and equipment. Equipment is expensive. There are three times we look at – dispatch services, turnout time and travel time = total response time. Your BFD rates are charted.. the BFD has a very quick response. 6 minutes 15 seconds or so from the time someone calls. That rivals most urban systems and the others are probably close to this too. Our stats are accurate, call volume vs population. You’ll see how it will need to grow. Questions? We’re about 75% done with our work.

    Ian – so, um, I let the board get the first bite of the apple. Board?

    Rich – you have a busy schedule but we won’t go line by line through where we are.

    Daniel – the slide says Overview, then four bullets – community survey, BFD, service demand, recommendations and strategies…

    Tim – On project goals, the four criteria – did you mention weighting, or four equal parts?

    Rich – excellent question. It will come down to the opinion of this board. Certain services are demanded by constituents and they will pay more for it. We won’t ell you what to do. You will decide the weight of these. We’ll compare them to national standards and similar systems to yours. You’ll decide priorities.

    Daniel – I know how some are measure. How will you measure sustainability and service delivery.

    Rich – we’ll look at the level of care with each of the options. Some, there is sibling rivalry. We look at services provided, procedures performed. We compare them. As for who is better? They are all good. They can all provide competent care. The hospital wouldn’t support them nor would the state. Sustainability is important – that goes up a notch – can the model sustain itself over the coming years? A service provider can go out of business. Financial sustainability but also personal control – how much control do you want over these services.? You have city water and sewer and that control.

    Jess – that overview slide. I’m curious about eh last bulet – recommendations and strategies – what will that look like?

    Rich – we’ll show you several options for providing a system – we’ll tell you what you need to have based on call volumes and criticality, and times. We’ll help you design a system that is deployed regardless of what system you choose. You can use it with all four models. Sytem valuation – we’ll determine the value of this system – the dollars available if properly billed and recovered. There are many models and ways to bill for services, and philosophical decisions. Collections are an issue. We’ll find out what the exact potential is, and we’ll tell you the appropriate amount to bill for services, then you can decide what to do from there. That will be the base for our cost of running the system. We’ll calculate one ambulance hour costs – the hourly cost. We’ll tell you what it should be. If you go negotiate with a private service you can know what to pay. Or you incur those costs that would come to the city. Costs don’t have to be paid by constituents outside of insurance. We’l tell you what it costs to run and how much it will bring in.

    Liz – thanks for the presentation and look forward to hearing your recommendations. One question – slide 4 – the highest level of prehospital care. You’ll talk to the BFD EMS medical advisers?

    Rich – absolutely – both of them next week.

    Ian – this is what we need. A third party – the board needs this and community needs this. Any problems getting any data that we can help you with?

    Rich – you have been remarkable. I do a variety of systems. The survey we sent out was solely for the 7 people on the committee to get to know the community. Nothing definitive about that. A wonderful thing, and you and over 300 responses. There was concern that we didn’t ask enough questions. Comments go on for pages. My people go through all of that. You accomplished a lot. We just need to get know you a bit. It doesn’t influence our decisions. It might influence you.

    Kate O’Connor – you’ll think I’m nuts, but if this is the presentation you give tomorrow, I suggest you take the letter from Rescue out of it. It’s not accurate to blame Rescue. The board made a decision. The letter is a lightning rod.

    Ian – I agree.

    Kate – you can explain there is a big background to why we are where we are and many are upset in the community. There are many concerned about the survey and how results were collected, and it won’t have bearing on what you do… the letter is important to take out and the survey. I’d urge you to not use the survey. It could be 100 people from Hawaii. The board asked us to ask you.

    Rich – we don’t get involved in the history. the letter has a date on it. We can take it out. It’s how it got started from our perspective. The survey wasn’t from Hawaii… the comments are fantastic and well written, and you are all over the spectrum of how you feel abut it. Surprised there isn’t a consensus as to what the model should be. We’ll take the emotion out and show you the options. It was well written stuff. It’s a public document. Good comments in there. Mostly constructive.

    Ian – there are a couple of board members that spoke to the survey, but the whole board did not.

    Franz Reichsman – Interesting presentation. Where in the report will issues of backup and mutual aid be represented and the role of mutual aid in EMS services and what measures you can use to look at that.

    Rich – excellent question. met with all surrounding chiefs, and they all talked about capacity. It will be a section about mutual aid. We want to blue shy an active response force. Usually fire based systems mean you can fight a fire… your neighbors are getting close to capacity. It will be a challenge for them to support you, and will need your support. Normal day to day has to be autonomous to Brattleboro.

    Robert Oeser – very good, thank you. The idea of using metrics is a great idea. There is a background to this. I’d vote to take the letter out, too, but it is tough way to do this. You have metrics, but you have a whole history and recent history that are problematic. This is feasibility. To assess feasibility – how we got here – 100 RTM members voted on a budget for $25k for a feasibility study for the fire department. The way it was explained in the annual report, it was for a strategic plan for community concerns and guidance about how to move forward. So that’s what the reps voted on. There was now mention of the Fire EMS model at that time. There were things going on in the background that resulted in the March 25 letter. To be informed about it is inescapable. There erase immediate concerns to outline.. the fire department overtime expenses were at 69% of budget in Sept, and 128% in Oct.. the numbers might not be concerning, but there is staff turnover, and that’s a concern about hat’s happening in the department with these new activities. At a hard meeting we talked about department expenses and accounting. There may be an easy answer – all expenses associated can be allocated to EMS depending on medical calls. There is an allocation system for expenses. The community survey has been an issue. Good you are looking at it and it is a public record. It seems hastily prepared. It’s unclear what weight will be given to the concerns in that survey. The issues with the survey. There was a period when it was unacceptable and we didn’t get a clear explanation – a glitch – you may have missed responses. Question 1 is about residence. We have 23 Windham communities. the survey doesn’t give us info on where they are from. Question 2 asked all that apply and it only allowed one answer. Those questions are still out there.

    Ian – one thing to correct, the EMS update is available for November 1. I try not to pack the agenda too full.

    Rich – the survey was for us and we have enough information to get the temperature of the community… a general idea of how people are in the city and what city businesses there are… it doesn’t influence our decisions. It went down on the 9th, they turned it back on. Didn’t change the outcome. We got a great outcome. It’s polarized issue, and that’s what we were looking for. It is on until the 31st, but we’ll get more valid info from the people who come talk to us tomorrow. Not a scientific tool. We needed to learn a bit about you and the issues here. It accomplished its goal. But we get more info from talking directly.

    Tim – can I see questions without taking the survey.

    Rich – yes- it was intentionally written to be filled out quickly.

    Beth K – how long is the exam going on?

    Rich – we’ll finish tomorrow with interviews and then 30 days after that to put it together, then a data review, then recommendations. The city can take as long as it wants to review it.

    Beth – do you suspect that if things change – we’re losing housing money – will an increase in homelessness change any of your information?

    Rich – I don’t have anything to measure. It is a draw on your services and impacts your community, so models will need to be refined as they grow.

    Daniel – there is a continuum of housing. People getting rental assistance and no longer receive it, there is a lot between that and homelessness. It’s not immediately homeless. My organization does this work, and there are concerns in housing, but hard to say we’d see a spike in homelessness.

    Tim – it speaks to sustainability

    Rich – we might have COVID again and the system has to adapt to that.

    Ian – one more hand… Sandy.

    Sandy – I have two questions – is the report going to lean one way or another to show us the best way, or will it just be up to the board to decide? Second, if it is a recommendation that one is best, will the board go with that or will you override it?

    Rich – this report is 99% providing the options. You all have to make the decisions. It is rare that we say one way is best. There will be some things we recommend you must do, but mostly we’ll show pros and cons and you can decide.

    Ian – there won’t be a “pick” so the board will, in a very public and many meetings and discussions look at all the data given to us to move in the right direction for the community. It’s now past our 8 pm break.

    Jess – in designing the system, will you consider how it is staffed?

    Rich – yes, that gets back to the services you need and that will drive how to staff it at different times.

    Jess – and current staff, what they can take on for length of shifts and stuff?

    Rich – there are specific laws that apply for them – expectations for overtime and so on.

    Daniel – will the presentation be the same tomorrow?

    Rich – much of the same, but it is a chance to be heard. I want to hear what people have issues with so we can address it. We’ll get rid of the letter, but it will be very similar – Quick talk then ask…

    Tim – most of the stuff in my brain I need to percolate.

    Ian – thanks everyone – ten minute break – 8:25pm

  • Charter Review Commission – Consider Process/Schedule

    (Patrick and Rich have a long conversation, un-muted, during the break.)

    Daniel – I got a text about something I don’t want to repeat from one of the ASL interpreters. Hot mics and all.

    Ian – an acknowledgement – every 15 years the town needs to have a Charter Review Commission. It is an honor to be on the board on that 15 year mark. We need to do it by the end of 2022, so this is our first time to discuss it. Attny Fisher is here to give us an overview of the process.

    Attny – we need to appoint the commission by the end of 2022. At least every 15 years the board shall appoint voters to review the Charter. It then makes proposed amendments, or redraft in whole or in part. At the end, they votes and makes recommendations, then those are voted on at a special RTM after public hearing. Then, the recommendations are done by article or by topic, voted on independently, with rights of referendum to take it to voters at large. Then, RTM adopts changes, they go to the VT legislature to be passed there. The charter is a statute of the state of VT. There are 4 ways to change the charter. State legislators, board, resolution, and Charter Review. This would be the Charter Review. Having been through this before, there is a wide range of what is considered. You could opt for a different form of town government entirely, or small edits to what exists. There are legal questions to answer. It helps;ps to have an odd number, and the selectboard appoints. Don’t want too many or too few people. Happy to answer questions.

    Ian – we have a memo from Patrick for what we could consider…

    Patrick – the memo are notes to things we think would be helpful – choose and odd number of appointees – 5-9 probably. Over 9 is unimaginably unmanageable. The board room here could be for the meetings of the Charter Review. Public is used to be here and can be filmed by BCTV. We think it should be covered by BCTV. Cor says it’ll cost just $2000 a year. We suggest the board expect plenty of staff support. Bob will help, as will town manager, and administrative support. We can do minutes. Give us some guidance. We should publicly announce this and the board solicit letters of interest from voters, and we set a date to get them. November 4th is decent. Or the 11th. All of this is to allow for the board to do interviews, but wrap up by early December. First meeting should be December.

    Ian – board – things to think about. Go down the list? Number of people… 7?

    Tim – 7.

    Jess –

    Daniel – 11

    Liz – 7

    Daniel – I retract 11 and back to 7.

    Jess – anyone can participate. 7 is manageable and more than 5.

    Ian – how many on DRB? 7? It would be hard if there were more than 7. We should interview and emphasize the attendance and time commitment requirements. It shouldn’t drop below 7… so maybe 9?

    Tim – how many times would they meet?

    Ian – they’d decide.

    Tim – did BCTV get a range of meetings?

    Patrick – it is for monthly meetings. Twice a month would be double the cost.

    Bob – they met monthly most of the time last time. There is a need to research different topics on the committee. You need to leave time for research and education.

    Ian – we operate well with 5 on this board. We all understand the importance of attendance and don’t miss meetings. It’s a huge discussion and very serious.

    Daniel – they’ll make recommendations that RTM will vote on… not automatically adopted.

    Tim – we’re picking the people for the body. We don’t step in and interfere after they get going.

    Attny – there was one time when the commission said, at the end, had the recommendations come from the selectboard and go right to the people not RTM. That was atypical. The board, at the commission’s request, got involved at the end.

    Ian – which one was that?

    Daniel – they should have abolished RTM….

    (these people don’t seem to know Larry Bloch…)

    Attny – you want this to be a special RTM, not an annual meeting.

    Tim – we did a special RTM for the last one and everyone was annoyed at the extra meeting.

    Daniel – who may be on the committee… voters. Not selectboard members.

    Tim – 5? 7? We don’t know how many letters we’ll get.

    Ian – if we have an issue with applicants we can decide later, but aim for 7.

    Liz – there should be 7 members, use the selectboard meeting room, staff support given, announce asap, and Nov 11 should be the deadline.

    Ian – 7 people, on BCTV, in selectboard mtg room….Nov 11 deadline.

    Patrick – don’t wait until the 15th – you may need time for interviews.

    Jess – one dedicated staff member, and clear what their role is.

    Patrick – a bit problematic – some admin staff can take minutes. It may function for more than a year, and we may need other people to sit in. One person… plus the Town Atty will be taxed and town manager will be called in a bit. How much staff support is needed?

    Attny Bob – depends how philosophical the committee gets. The last one looked at the philosophy of how government works and looked at alternatives. You may her one that will just want to make some tweaks. It’ll depend on the commission. There is no right or wrong. Just look ta it.

    Ian – so we need to be flexible with staffing.

    Jess – perhaps we set aside money for the committee for training or hire facilitation of their organizational meeting for a very structured process?

    patrick – we could hire someone, or ask them if they want it? Maybe they have the skills and don’t need it. If they need it. It’s a once in a .. not generation, but infrequent. We shouldn’t leave them unsupported.

    Ian – they should be aware the board will provide adequate staffing and support.

    Patrick – we’ll let you know if they need anything.

    Jess – why a letter and not the form?

    Patrick – not a huge fan of the form. It serves its purpose for routine appointments. if it were me, I’d want to read a letter. Why do you want to be on the commission. Use ample space to articulate yourself. We can do it any way.

    Jess – I’d like a form rather than a letter.

    Daniel – I didn’t want to only be a letter. An email is almost the same thing. That should be fine, too. In the announcement we could ask people to explain why they want to be on the commission and what you hope to achieve. We want this to be an accessible process.

    Patrick – email is fine.

    Tim – I don’t want to vote for anyone if they can’t come up with reason, so I’d rather not have a form. Just let ’em go and we can judge them on their thoughts. Email but not interpretive dance.

    Liz – we’ve seen the application process. It asks why you want to do this, and asks about your past experience. It’s easier if some just writes a letter and cuts to the chase. tell us your current involvement and why you want to be on this. It shortens the process and people can manage it.

    Ian – I fall on side of letter/email. We need to know what we are asking for. Let’s nail it down right now. What are the three things… Daniel had three… I don’t need to hear about involvement in civics. I’d like why you want to be on it, why are you qualified, and what do you hope to accomplish? Cool with those?

    Jess – I’d love to have a question about what roles do you think… I’m a team player because…

    Ian – that’s a perfect interview question.

    Tim – I like the “letter of interest.” It can be filled with whatever they think is necessary. How is that not accessible? No expectations.

    Ian – I’ve heard criticism of that in the past.

    Tim – a short letter might be fine. or three pages. Guiding questions… it isn’t more fair.

    Ian – makes more sense to give people guidance because we don’t do this often and some guidance from the board would be good.

    Ian – then we have to agree…

    Daniel – as a former teacher of English, and asking people to write things, there is a fear to be asked to write something. If we make it more straightforward we’ll get a larger number of applications. No questions will get us a narrow selection. This is called scaffolding. I’d like to hear those three things, at least suggested. I’ve worked with people who are great thinkers who aren’t great writers in a time crunch.

    Tim – the interview process weeds people out and lets them talk without writing.

    Ian – just call and get an interview.

    Tim – if the concern is discomfort with writing a letter in English.

    Jess – the letter would give us some background and evidence they can write, which is important, and the questions will help people. Written and conversation communications will give us enough to make a decision.

    7 members, please submit a letter of interest… why and your qualifications and what you want to accomplish.

    info will go out asap to the community…. get ’em back by Nov 11.

    Attny – I’ll help answer questions.

    Daniel – in whatever material we put out, we should explain what it does, so people will know.

    Patrick – the quoted section from the Charter OK?

    Ian – yes. Stay in those borders.

    Patrick – the final two sentences are great. They can do amendments or redo the charter in whole or in part.

    Daniel – we should make it easy to get the charter. There is interesting stuff in there.

    Patrick – we use it every week. It’s the rule book.

    Ian – so, the town charter is a statute?

    Attny – it has to be ratified by the legislature. Some are governmental charters, and some are creation charters. You can cite it as Section numbers from state legislature. But the numbers don’t line up.

    Jess – they vote on it as a whole?

    Attny – yes. in committee and full legislature. We can’t change things beyond state statute. Know your audience.

    Ian – could they bring changes as a slate to RTM?

    Attny – it could be but not usually.

  • Post meeting hot mic...

    (Daniel says he will be hounding people on the commission with his great ideas.)

Leave a Reply