WSESD Policy & Amendment Committee Meeting Agenda and Minutes

Policy & Amendment Committee
53 Green Street
Brattleboro, VT 05301

The WSESD Policy and Amendment Committee will meet at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday,
June 14, 2022 in the WSESU Central Office Conference Room, 53 Green Street and
remotely via Zoom:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 840 3540 4522
Passcode: g7EZB7
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,84035404522#,,,,*555762# US (New York)
+13017158592,,84035404522#,,,,*555762# US (Washington DC)
Dial by your location
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 840 3540 4522
Passcode: 555762
Find your local number:

I. Approval of Minutes from June 2, 2022
II. Continue discussion of edits to:
D6 – Substitute Teachers
A1 – The Role of Policy / The Role and Adoption of School Board Policies

III. Review the following Policies that have no changes but require review by this Committee:
B3 – Board Member Conflict of Interest
D7 – Volunteers and Work Study Students
D9 – Alcohol and Drug-Free Workplace (single word change only)

D12 – Policy on Prevention of Harassment of Employees (change of title only)
F12 – Transportation
G14 – Animal Dissection

IV. Review VSBA edits to F24 – Firearms and Dangerous or Deadly Weapons

V. Review H7 – Leadership Councils with potential revision

VI. Continue discussion:
Review of Committee Work and Reporting of Issues to Full Board
Exit Interview
D1 – Personnel-Recruitment, Selection, Appointment and Background Checks – RE: Including students in the hiring process.
Review F23 – Policy on Prevention of Harassment, Hazing, and Bullying of Students
(Meeting to conclude at 2:30 p.m.)


Windham Southeast Supervisory District (WSESD) Board
Policy and Amendment Committee
53 Green St.
Brattleboro, VT 05301
Thursday, June 2, 2022

Members attending: Deborah Stanford (DST), David Schoales (DS), Shaun Murphy (SM), Tim
Maciel (TM), Liz Adams (LA, via Zoom)
Guests attending: Barbara Nowakowski (BN, Central Office), Jaime Contois (JC, member of
public, via Zoom)

DST convened the meeting at 3:10 pm and called for election of officers.

TM nominated DST for Chair, seconded by SM, unanimous consent.

TM nominated DS for Vice-Chair, seconded by LA, unanimous consent.

LA nominated TM for Clerk, seconded by SM, unanimous consent.

DST proposed that the committee follow Robert’s Rules for Small Boards. Motioned by DS, seconded by SM, unanimous agreement.

Discussion of regular meeting time/day tabled until next meeting on June 14th at 1:00 pm in Central Office.

DST amended the agenda to allow BN to present list of 12 mandatory policies that included revisions/edits suggested by the VT School Boards Association (SBA), the District and other bodies.

Highlighted sections of handout indicate edits/changes/deletions by School District, but not reviewed by SBA. Strike outs indicate VSBA deletions. Some policies have no changes, but
should still be reviewed by Policy Committee (handout attached).
Discussion of D6, Substitute Teachers.
SM suggested D6 be put forth for approval by Board with recommendation to reject changes proposed by SBA save minor edits. JC asked about required trainings for subs. BN noted that all
subs have full day of training in mandated reporting laws and other regulations and procedures.
JC suggested that a video recording of sub training be employed. BN will look into it. DST noted that policy would have to be amended to allow use of recordings.
JC asked how sub usage has changed during COVID. BN will look into it.
DST: D6 should be discussed at June 14th regular Board meeting.

Policies with No Changes:

BN suggested that policies on the list with no changes be presented to the Board for review. These include: B3, D7, D12 (only change of title), G14, F12 and possibly F23 (Prevention of Harassment, Hazing and Bullying of Students).
BN noted that Board would need to review, readopt and state its intent of substantive changes of proposed policy, then allow at least 10 days prior public notice of intent to adopt the policy per A1, The Role of Policy.
F24. Firearms and Dangerous or Deadly Weapons.
BN noted her concern over language eliminated by SBA.
DS suggested F24 be discussed at June 14th Policy Committee meeting.
Other policies suggested for further discussion at June 14th meeting:
D9, Alcohol and Drug Free Workplace.
A1: The Role and Adoption of School Board Policies. Discussion re. role of Board in overseeing procedures and protocols. Consensus to avoid too much oversight. Suggestion to review suggested edits at June 14th meeting.
Committee Work and Reporting.
DS noted that committee chairs may not be reporting crucial issues/decisions to the board. Suggested policy to require this.
H7. Leadership Councils. Needs review/revision.
TM noted that the Student Conduct and Discipline policy, F1, makes no mention of Restorative Justice and suggested a review of this policy.
D1. Personnel Recruitment, Selection, Appointment and Background Checks. DS suggested that the committee look into what other districts are doing to include students in the hiring
Exit interviews. Perhaps farm out to a variety of individuals (DS). Need data from them.
Summary of Policies for Discussion at June 14th Policy Meeting: A1, B3, D6, D7, D9, D12, F12, F23 (?), F24, H7.
Meeting adjourned by DST at 4:47 p.m.

Leave a Reply