Windham Southeast School District
Finance Committee Meeting – Tuesday January 25, 2022
5:00pm Meeting via Zoom link
Members: Shaun Murphy – Chairperson, Michelle Luetjen Green, Jaci Reynolds
Board Recorder: Wendy Levy
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 862 3319 5765
1. Approval of Minutes
2. Executive Session: Title 1 V.S.A. § 313(a)1B – Labor Relations with Employees (if needed)
3. FY23 Budget Planning & Development
• Budget assumption updates
• Preparation for Public Information Meeting & Annual Report
4. Recommendation to Board to Approve Warrants and Payrolls
board at a future meeting.
WINDHAM SOUTHEAST SCHOOL DISTRICT (WSESD) FINANCE COMMITTEE &
WSESD INDEPENDENT BUDGET REVIEW COMMITTEE
TUESDAY, JANUARY 11, 2022
REGULAR MEETING – 5PM
HYBRID MEETING: WRCC CUSICK CONFERENCE ROOM & ONLINE
WSESD Finance Committee Members Present: Chairperson Shaun Murphy (SM), Michelle LuetjenGreen (MG), Jaci Reynolds (JR)
WSESD Independent Budget Review Committee Members Present: Chairperson Kristina Naylor, BarbCharkey, Maggie Foley, Casey Murrow
WSESU/SD Administrators Present: Frank Rucker
Others Present: Wendy M. Levy (WSESD Board Recorder)
Please note: Because of incomplete attendance records, this attendance record may be incomplete.
Finance Committee Chairperson SM called the meeting to order at 5:02pm.
MOTION BY JR TO APPROVE THE MINUTES OF THE DECEMBER 21, 2021 MEETING. SM SECONDED. MOTION CARRIED 2-0 (MG HAD NOT YET ARRIVED TO THE MEETING AND DID NOT VOTE)
• Revenue Assumptions
Frank Rucker shared and reveiwed a document, “WSESD FY23 Proposal Draft Summary.” Highlights included:
• The figures presented in this proposal are initial estimates, which Frank referred to as “very favorable.”
• Taxes may go down if the Tax Commissioner’s forecast is correct.
• Even though the budget is up, so are revenues because of federal and state funding.
• An explanation of how the tax rate corresponds with education spending and statewide property values.
• This is, according to Frank, one of the most favorable budgets in years.
• The figures for equalized pupils have not arrived from the state; Frank frequently monitors their arrival.
• The state has suspended the spending threshold because of COVID.
• A discussion ensued on HVAC items in the capital plan.
Frank shared a document, “WSESD FY23 Proposed Budget Summary Draft: Capital Plan Overview
By School Site and By Infrastructure Improvements.” Highlights included:
• A review of the capital plans, the process for developing them, how it relates to the budget as presented, and the revenue sources to fund these projects.
• SM commented on Frank’s attention to ensuring equity is met across the District through budgeting and paying for these capital needs at different schools.
Frank shared and reviewed a document, “FY23 Capital Funding Plan: Transfers from the General Fund to the Capital Reserve Fund, as of 1.5.22.”
III. YEAR TO DATE FINANCIAL STATEMENTS REVIEW
• Frank led a review of the budget timeline. He noted the state has allowed this year’s budget and articles voting for the Annual Meeting to occur on March 1 to coincide with Town Meeting, and that this is better for the Town Clerks.
• The Board needs to approve the warning and budget on January 25 to comply with the mandated timeline. And, the central office needs this date confirmed by January 12 so the postcards can go to the printer to mail to voters.
• Moving forward on the budget affects staff recruitment.
• If anyone wants hard copies of the budget, they are available at the central office.
• WSESD FY23 Proposal Draft Summary
• WSESD FY23 Proposed Budget Summary Draft: Capital Plan Overview By School Site and By Infrastructure Improvements
• WSESD FY23 Proposed Budget Summary Draft: Expenditures By Function
• FY23 Capital Funding Plan: Transfers from the General Fund to the Capital Reserve Fund, as of 1.5.22
This represents my understanding of the above dated meeting. If you have any changes, please submit
them at the next Finance Committee meeting.
Independent Budget Review Committee
Brattleboro, VT 05301
NOTICE OF MEETING
The Windham Southeast School District Independent Budget Review Committee will meet
at 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, January 25 in the WRCC Cusick Conference Room and via Zoom:
For Zoom Link – Refer to WSESD Finance Committee 1/25/22 Agenda
I. Call to Order
II. Attend WSESD Finance Committee FY ’23 Budget Meeting
III. Other Business
Note: The Committee will recess to participate in the 6:00 p.m. WSESD Board Meeting
Note: Immediately following the 6:00 p.m. WSESD Board Meeting (at approximately 8:00 p.m.)
the Independent Budget Review Committee will reconvene via the Zoom Link below:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 896 0722 5167
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,89607225167#,,,,*113077# US (Chicago)
+19292056099,,89607225167#,,,,*113077# US (New York)
Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 896 0722 5167
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kdA2lzsABK
I. FY ’23 Budget – Follow-Up / Next Steps