BRATTLEBORO – Just before noon on Monday, September 10th, a small fire broke out in a clothes dryer at Groundworks Shelter (formerly Morningside Shelter) on Royal Road in Brattleboro. No one was hurt, but the fire resulted in extensive smoke damage to the Shelter.
Staff mobilized quickly and have temporarily relocated residents of the Shelter to the dormitory that is used for the winter warming shelter – on the Winston Prouty (formerly Austine School) campus. There is potential that the relocation will last for up to two weeks while thorough cleaning of Groundworks Shelter occurs.
Groundworks board, staff, and residents would like to extend many thanks to the Brattleboro Fire Department for their quick response, Winston Prouty for the flexibility and support, as well as to Kerri and volunteers from the American Red Cross for arriving on site within 15 minutes and providing lunch and support for residents throughout the transition to the temporary shelter location. The Red Cross will continue to provide meals and support to residents, and will be reaching out to the community for help to do so.
Groundworks will compile a wish list for needed items and post the list to the Groundworks Collaborative Facebook Page over the next few days. Anyone interested in volunteering to assist with overnight supervision of the Shelter can email volunteer@GroundworksVT.org.
Groundworks Collaborative is the organization formed three years ago with the merger of the Brattleboro Area Drop-In Center and Morningside Shelter. Groundworks provides food, shelter, and supportive services to families and individuals facing a full continuum of housing and food insecurities in the greater-Brattleboro area.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
For an interview, please contact:
Director of Operations
rkendrick@GroundworksVT.org | 802-275-7179