NEWFANE, VT – After almost 30 years in police work, I have decided to retire from law enforcement and as Sheriff of Windham County, effective June 30, 2019. This follows much discussion with family, colleagues, and close friends. My wife, as some of you know, has been working in North Carolina for some time now, and we are both looking forward to again sharing the same roof. That being said, this has been a tough decision for me. Being Sheriff has been the single most rewarding of all my various law enforcement jobs.
On 3/20/19 at around 6:30PM the Brattleboro Police Department responded to a report of a shooting at the Representative Town Meeting school information night at Green Street School. Multiple BPD officers responded and were assisted by the Vermont State Police and Windham Sheriff’s office. Approximately ten officers were involved in the response to this incident.
The Brattleboro Fire Department is reminding everyone of this simple life-saving habit of changing the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms when adjusting your clocks for daylight saving time.
According to fire officials, every year there are roughly 2,200 deaths and 11,000 ER injuries due to the more than 350,000 house fires throughout the nation.
At 12:49p we received a report that there was a large ice jam on the Whetstone Brook near Village Drive and that water was coming into the trailer park. It was determined that an ice jam, approximately 200 yards in length, was diverting the water out of the brook. Eleven homes along Village & Edgewood Drives were evacuated. There were concerns that if the ice jam dislodged it would cause a dangerous, sudden increase in the water levels downstream and for this reason we did a precautionary evacuation of Glen St and Melrose Terrace.
Date:12/01/18 Nature of call: Building Fire
Address: 58 / 60 Frost Place Time of Call: 12:55p
Type of Building: 2 ½ story duplex Number of Residents: 2
Number of Alarms and Times: 1stalarm @ 12:55p – 2ndalarm @ 1:03p
Under Control: 1:45p Injuries: No
At 12 midnight Engine 2 and Utility 8 responded to 11 Pleasant Street for a Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm activation.
Upon arrival firefighters were met outside by a tenant who reported the carbon monoxide detector in the basement was going off. Firefighters entered the basement to find the CO detector was sounding, and the gas meter firefighters were carrying with them registered elevated levels of CO. There was also a light haze in the basement, this being caused by a malfunctioning boiler.
BRATTLEBORO – Just before noon on Monday, September 10th, a small fire broke out in a clothes dryer at Groundworks Shelter (formerly Morningside Shelter) on Royal Road in Brattleboro. No one was hurt, but the fire resulted in extensive smoke damage to the Shelter.
Staff mobilized quickly and have temporarily relocated residents of the Shelter to the dormitory that is used for the winter warming shelter – on the Winston Prouty (formerly Austine School) campus. There is potential that the relocation will last for up to two weeks while thorough cleaning of Groundworks Shelter occurs.
The Brattleboro Fire Department would like to proudly announce that we have received notice from the NH Fire and Emergency Medical Services that four staff members are recipients, in part, of the 2018 EMS Unit Citation from the State of NH, for their actions taken in the extrication at a fatal accident in Hinsdale, NH on March 9, 2018.
At 10:07pm the Brattleboro Fire Department responded on a mutual aid request for extrication at the scene of a two vehicle, head on collision on Chesterfield Rd in Hinsdale. Lt. Josh Jones, FF Matt Hubbard, FF Ben Aither and FF Andrew Baldwin, all members of Platoon #3, performed the extrication of one patient from the back seat area of a vehicle.
The Brattleboro area continues to be under a heat advisory as hot weather continues to have a grip on the region. The National Weather Service is forecasting much of the same through out the rest of the week and warn that heat and humidity will lead to dangerously high heat indices in excess of 100 degrees.
The Brattleboro Fire Department is proud to announce that we have been named the recipient of the 2018 First Responder Service of the Year Award by the Vermont Department of Health, Emergency Medical Services.
The criteria for this award reads; “This award is intended to recognize Vermont based and licensed EMS organizations for their excellence in operations and service to their communities.
Michael Bucossi, Fire Chief
Leonard Howard III, Assistant Chief
Date: April 10, 2018 Nature of call: Building fire
Address: 901 Western Ave Time of Call: 6:29pm
Type of Building: 2 ½ story wood frame multifamily Number of Residents: 5 units/7 tenants
Michael Bucossi, Fire Chief
Leonard Howard III, Assistant Chief
Date: April 10, 2018 Nature of call: Structure Fire
Address: 44 Fuller Drive Time of Call: 11:14am
Type of Building: 2 story wood frame/ single family Number of Residents: 3
Nature of Alarms and Times: 2nd alarm at 11:19am Under Control: 11:42am
Date: March 22, 2018 Nature of call: Building fire
Address: 55 South Main St Time of Call: 11:33am
Type of Building: 2 ½ story Multi Family w/attached 2 story barn
Number of Alarms and Times: 2nd alarm @ 11:36am Under Control: 11:55am
“I just have a quick question regarding traffic violations.
Vermont Alert (www.vtalert.gov) has gone through a significant upgrade to further improve its alerting capabilities for Vermonters. As part of the upgrade, you must re-register for the new system if you still want to receive alerts and notifications. The Town of Brattleboro also has the capabilities of sending local emergency messages to residents by way of phone, email and text message. If you have not previously registered, you are encouraged to go to www.vtalert.gov and register. VT Alert is the notification system for emergencies, Amber Alerts, weather, road conditions, and more.
Construction on the renovated and expanded Central Fire Station is complete. A ribbon cutting and open house had originally been scheduled for next Friday, January 19. However, due to a calendar conflict, the event has been rescheduled to be held on Friday, February 9. The Town of Brattleboro and the Fire Department personnel are proud of the new station and invite the public to tour the facilities, meet the firefighters, and attend the Ribbon Cutting ceremony, as follows:
Good Afternoon –
It’s with mixed emotions and sincere gratitude that the Brattleboro Fire Department is announcing the retirement of Firefighter Allyn Olney. Firefighter Olney joined the Call Force in June of 1986 was hired to the Career Staff in October of 1987, serving the citizens of Brattleboro for the past 30 years. Al has been a very special employee, a dedicated firefighter and a role model for all. Al received the “Firefighter of the Year Award” in 2004 and a “Meritorious Unit Citation” for his work as part of a group during a very difficult patient extrication at a fatal car accident in 2014. Known for his calm and laid-back demeanor, Firefighter Olney has embraced the role of “senior firefighter”, taking new employees under his wing, and sharing his knowledge, wisdom and history with all of us. Al will work his final shift on Saturday, December 30, he will be sorely missed.
The Brattleboro Police Department put out this press release today: