Clark Street Fire Details

Crews from both stations were dispatched at 16:51 to 75 Clark Street for a report of smoke on the third floor and attic area. While crews were responding, dispatch received a second call advising there was a subject on the 3rd floor. Assistant Chief Charles Keir, along with Engine 2, arrived on the scene. AC Keir reported a 2 1/2-story multi-family wood frame building with light smoke showing from the front. Engine 2’s crew made their way to the third floor to report they had located a victim and were on their way out with the victim.

Crews reported there was still an active fire in the apartment. Golden Cross/BFD ambulance personnel transported the patient with significant burns to the arms, hands, and airway to Brattleboro Memorial Hospital. A second and third alarm was requested for additional personnel as well as taking into consideration the longer response time due to weather conditions.

Engine 2’s crew stretched a hose line to the 3rd floor and began extinguishing the fire and ventilating. Primary and secondary searches of the building were completed, and all occupants were accounted for. The fire was reported under control at 17:41.

The Red Cross was called to assist with housing one tenant and two dogs; the other tenant is staying with friends.

Mutual Aid towns on the scene were Guilford, Dummerston, Hinsdale, Keene, Putney, and Greenfield.

Station Coverage was provided by Chesterfield, Westminster, Turner Falls, Wilmington, and Cheshire EMS.

The fire will be under investigation by Brattleboro Fire, Brattleboro Police, Vermont State Police, and the Vermont Division of Fire Safety. The Department of Public Works, Police, and Green Mountain Power assisted on the scene.

Comments | 1

  • An Update from the Town:

    “Brattleboro Fire, Police, Vt State Police, and Vt Division of Fire Safety conducted a fire investigation at 75 Clark Street. The investigation determined that the fire started in the third-floor apartment and the cause has been determined to be accidental. The building has been turned back over to the owner, the building did sustain fire damage to the third-floor unit and water damage to the two units below.

    The subject that was removed from the fire last evening, has been transferred to an area burn center.

    Having a working smoke/carbon monoxide detector on every level of your home is vital to you and your family’s safety.”

Leave a Reply